August 21, 2023
After backorders were delivered in 1Q23, this impact of this accelerator was largely spent by 2Q23. Although the situation tends to differ by country and brand, in general availability is better than in 2Q22.
While overall shipments in Western Europe declined year-on-year in 2Q23, shipments of laser devices increased by 1.4% in the same period.
Highlights from the quarter and the year include:
- Inkjet shipments decreased by 27.7% in 2Q23 year-on-year.
- Colour inkjet shipments decreased by 27.6% in 2Q23 year on year. Monochrome inkjet shipments decreased by 41.6% year on year, but still accounted for 2.27 million units.
- Colour laser shipments increased by 28.9% year-on-year in 2Q23, while monochrome laser shipments decreased by 13.9%.
- HP maintains overall market leadership with 42.4% share. Canon, Brother, and Epson all increased shipments in 2Q23 year-on-year. All participate in the consumer and enterprise markets.
- The below chart shows the top four brands by unit shipments for the past five quarters.
“Colour laser shipments increased year on year in Western Europe in 2Q23, but mono laser shipments declined. The consumer and business inkjet markets also declined, as the turbulent economy is having an impact on demand for HCP devices. IDC expects vendors to focus on higher-speed devices and value-added services,” said Julio Vial, Research Manager for IDC’s Western European Data and Analysis Group.
Main country highlights:
Germany: Overall shipments decreased by 21.9% year on year in 2Q23, although colour laser shipments increased. In 2Q23, the German inkjet market decreased by 31.7% year-on-year and the laser segment declined by 2.4%, but the colour laser market increased by 49.9%.
France: The entire HCP market decreased by 18.6% in 2Q23. Inkjet shipments decreased by 21.0% and laser shipments declined by 8.2%, although the colour laser segment increased by 9.1%.
The U.K.: Total shipments declined in 2Q23 year on year by 21.0%. Inkjet shipments decreased by 25.1%, and laser shipments decreased by 4.3%. However, colour laser shipments increased by 23.6% in the same period.
Italy: The overall Italian HCP market declined by 6.1% year on year in 2Q23. During the year, laser shipments rose by 4.1%, colour laser shipments increased by 23.3%, and the inkjet segment decreased by 12.0%.
Spain: Total HCP market shipments decreased year on year in 2Q23 by 6.6%. Laser shipments increased by 23.7%, while inkjet shipments declined by 17.7%.
Categories : World Focus