September 16, 2022
Sharp Electronics Corporation in the U.S. announced the celebration of Sharp Corporation’s (Sharp) 110th anniversary.
On 15th September in 1912, founder Tokuji Hayakawa began the company that would become a worldwide leader in developing core technologies that play a key role in shaping the future of electronics.
Based on its business creed, “Sincerity and Creativity,” Sharp has a long and storied history of introducing “unique and innovative” products and solutions that have made life easier for households and businesses around the world and has reached many milestones over its history of 110 years, such as:
- Inventing in 1915 the “Ever Ready Sharp Pencil,” a mechanical pencil using a twist-type design. The company’s branding and name is derived from this invention.
- Developing photovoltaic power generation in 1959
- Manufacturing high-end convection microwave ovens since 1961
- Inventing the Sharp Carousel countertop microwave oven, which has sold over 140 million units globally since 1964
- Producing the world’s first all-transistor calculator in 1964
- Introducing its first multifunction printer in 1972, making 2022 the 50th anniversary of this product line
- Launching Sharp mobile phones in 1994, with the industry’s first camera-equipped mobile phone in 2000
- Sharp has sold over 2 million super-heated steam ovens globally since 2004
- Developing Plasmacluster Ion air purifying technology in October 2000 and achieving 100 million units shipped worldwide by October 2021. Sharp’s world-renowned Plasmacluster air purifiers have been certified as a “World’s Leading Air Purifier Brand” by Euromonitor International Limited.
- Inventing the built-in Microwave Drawer oven, which has produced over 1 million units in the United States alone
- Introducing AQUOS brand LCD TVs in 2001 and shipping 500 million units by the end of September 2020
- Producing facemasks with the onset of COVID-19 in February 2020, reaching a total of 300 million shipments by November 2021
“We are proud to be celebrating this incredible milestone and all of the innovations that Sharp has contributed to society over its 110 years in business,” said Jeff Ashida, President and CEO, Sharp Electronics Corporation in the US. “We’re looking forward to the future accomplishments and successes that we will bring to the world.”
Categories : Around the Industry