October 20, 2021
A new survey conducted by Mopria Alliance addresses the value tied to using paper as a communications medium versus usage of devices such as a smartphone or laptop, and the preferences of using each for various tasks.
The 20-minute survey was conducted online with US consumers ages 18-64. Overall, the survey showed that printed paper continues to be valuable for a variety of reasons.
Top survey takeaways:
Balancing on and off screen time is a challenge
- 16% of adults set screen time limits for themselves
- 52% of families with children have limits on screen time
- Yet, most are unsatisfied with their ability to balance on and off screen time
- The survey reveals that most seek paper as a way to take a break from screens
Some tasks have a strong paper preference
- 51% of respondents state that when writing lists or taking notes, paper is their go-to
- 43% of respondents indicate they prefer reading a book or newspaper using a hardcopy, paper version
- Respondents who prefer paper usage for the above tasks show a very strong liking for it and would have a difficult time switching to digital formats
- Nearly two thirds of them would feel awful without a paper book
- 61% of respondents would feel terrible if they couldn’t use paper to write a list or keep track of events
Digital devices are useful for speed, but paper is able to do it all
- When asked to describe the main reasons for using either paper or digital devices, respondents revealed that:
- Digital is mostly used because of its speed and convenience, but can be fatiguing and addicting
- Digital can make consumers feel distant from the world around them and lose human connections
- Digital can make consumers feel overly connected through work
- Paper helps consumers to improve focus and keep track of tasks easier
- Paper makes them feel good and less tired
- Paper allows them to feel more productive
- Only 13% of survey respondents disagreed with the statement that paper helps you comprehend better
The Mopria Alliance is a non-profit membership organisation of leading global technology companies with the mission of providing universal standards and solutions for print and scan.
The survey results can be viewed here.
Categories : Around the Industry