June 27, 2011
The fire at Bentham Ltdís base in Somerset is reported to have destroyed a container of cartridges and paper on Saturday evening.
The blaze was confined to the container in question and did not affect the company¬ís facilities. Four fire crews were required to put out the fire after the alarm was raised at 10.40pm.
A Chinese lantern, commonly used lanterns at parties or events, is reported to have started the fire, which ignited the paper and spread to the consumables and toner stored within the same container.
Anthony Moxon, General Manager at Bentham Ltd., commended the fire services for their quick and effective intervention to put out the fire.
He added: "In the event, the stock in the small container and outside was largely returns, and does not in any way inhibit our ability to serve our clients.
"I absolutely share the fire service view that Chinese lanterns are a menace and highly dangerous."
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service station commander Jim Morrison told the BBC: "Without sounding like a killjoy, we would ask people to consider not buying and setting them off because of the dangers.
"Although they look pretty they will often fail and come down early whilst the fuel for the lantern itself is still burning."
Another spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service told This is West Country: ''The fire was caused by a Chinese lantern falling on them [the container¬ís contents].
''There was 75 percent damage to the contents.''
Bentham Ltd. operates under the brand name Inkjets and Toners,¬†and manufactures and sells alternative consumables for the aftermarket.